Spring Pie (By Jamie Oliver)
This no fuss, easy and tasty pie is a great option for a lunch after a nice spring walk.
Serves 6 Kiwis | Preparation Time: 30 mins | Cook time: 30-40 mins
- 270g of filo pastry
- 200g of spinach
- 6rashes of smoked streaky bacon
- 6 large eggs
- 200ml milk
- 1 teaspoon of mustard powder
- ½ bunch of fresh chives
- 3 medium leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Lightly grease a 20x30cm dish with oil. Cover it with a layer of pastry, letting the edges overhang slightly. Brush with a little of oil and add another layer. 270 should give enough of pastry for 3-4 layers.
- Place the spinach in a colander and pour boiling water over it to wilt it. Push the spinach down with the back of your spoon, let it cool a bit and then, using your hands, squeeze out any excess water. Chop the spinach roughly and set aside
- Grill the bacon till crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt and black pepper, then whisk in the milk and mustard powder, snip in the chives and grate in the lemon zest.
- Crumble the bacon into the spinach, add the leek. Mix well and scatter into the filo pastry case.
- Pour over the egg mixture and place the dish on the bottom of the oven. Bake for 30-40min (you want it to set)
Leave the pie to cool for 20min before slicing.
Serve with green salad and enjoy!