Spicy Chipotle Chicken & Quinoa Soup (by Nadia Lim)
I love this soup. It’s my new go to winter warmer.
It is perfect for those cold winter evenings. It’s nourishing, it’s yummy and it’s easy and quick to make.
Serves: 6 Kiwis | Preparation time: 20min | Cook time: 30min
2 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2-3 stalks celery, finely diced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 Tbsp chopped thyme (Italian or poultry seasoning, if thyme now available)
2-3 Tbsp tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp chipotle sauce
1½ cups peeled and diced pumpkin or butternut
500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
½ cup quinoa or any rice
1 litre salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
2½ cups water
½ tsp salt
Juice of 1 lime or ½ lemon
⅓ cup unsweetened natural yoghurt or lite sour cream
⅓ cup chopped coriander, basil or parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot on medium heat.
- Cook onion, garlic, celery, carrot and thyme, with a good pinch of salt, for about 10 minutes until soft. If at any time the vegetables are beginning to stick to the bottom of the pot, just add a couple of tablespoons of water, stir, and they should unstick.
- Stir in tomato paste and chipotle sauce
- Add pumpkin/butternut, chicken thighs, quinoa/rice, stock, water and salt.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until grains are tender.
- Remove chicken pieces to a chopping board and shred meat with two forks. Put it back into hot soup and stir.
- Season to taste with lime or lemon juice, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with a dollop with yoghurt/sour cream and fresh herbs.